Book Review: The Princess and the White Bear King


Title: The Princess and the White Bear King
By: Tanya Robyn Batt, Nicoletta Ceccoli and Miranda Richardson
Age recommendations: 5-11 years old


What is it about? 
The Princess and the White Bear King is about a Princess who finds that which she most covets in the possession of a big white bear. When she asks if she can have it,he says that if she wants it, the price is her. She agrees, and begins an adventure like one she hadn't imagined! But when she breaks her promise to him, he whisks away to honor his end of an agreement with another and she finds herself on a thee year mission to save her love!

Who thought what? 
I was honored to read this story with all of my business partners! While my eight year old daughter's biggest (and only real complaint) was the villain, the Troll Queen, the rest of us had a few...bigger qualms. Both my husband and I disliked the princess's family. Not only does the princess's father obviously have favorites chosen among his children, he's awfully quick to toss his least favorite daughters into harms way to protect his favorite, the youngest of his girls. Why would he not try to protect them all? I mean, what kind of parent just tosses their children at a monster without a second thought? 

My husband also disliked how the bear encourages the princess to dismiss her mother's advice over the week long visit he allows her to have with her family, but Hubby's biggest complaint is actually a pretty good one. Through all of this deceit, why isn't the King just honest with the Princess and tell her the truth from the very start? Why lie and encourage her to disobey her own parents? 

Finally, while I enjoyed the story, I think that it can feel a little long, especially for those who have some trouble focusing or a while listening to a story. 

However, even with all of our complaints, we did like the book! My son enjoyed how, and I quote, "Disney Princessy" it was and my daughter even went so far as to compare it to Beauty and the Beast, a story she really enjoys and of course we all liked the happy ending. But our affection for the story goes beyond that.




I was drawn to the specific verses repeated throughout the story. Not only were they fun and beautiful sayings, but they add to the interaction among those reading and those listening along in addition to the benefits that the use of repetitive phrases within a story has for those learning to read. 



My husband and I both liked the role model that the princess is for girls everywhere. We love her strength and determination to overcome everything that stood in her way in order to find and rescue her king...even when it took three whole years! Even better, no one told her that she had to save him, in fact many told her that she would never succeed and still she continued because she wanted to! 



We also liked that she not only collected items along the way, but she used them in the best of ways for all of the right reasons. And I can't help but love that, while she is strong, determined, stubborn and independent, she also shows compassion, respect a nurturing nature as well, all while being beautify, proving that you don't have pick an chose what kind of girl you are, you can be it all and still get your happy ending! Of course, the fact that the princess starts off more like a victim but, by the end of the story, becomes the hero is not lost on us, either! 

Finally, my son and I adored the illustrations. He loves the style of the art work and I adored the color schemes. The blues and purples (which also happens to be my favorite colors) did an amazing job of transporting you to a cold, wintery world that kind of feels lonely and scary. But there's this touch of warmth that almost glows that portrays love, safety and happiness, but most of all, hope. 



Who did we love? 
My 16 year old son:
He named his favorite character as the White Bear king. He loved the bear's dedication to do what was right and to not back down from an agreement he made, no matter how undesirable the outcome was sure to be. 

My 8 year old daughter: 
She favored the princess as her favorite character because she liked how nice and compassionate the princess was. She also loved how the princess used the items she collected along her journey.

My husband: 
He also favored the princess because he liked how determined she was and how she changed her role from victim to hero. He also really liked how she used her collected items.

Me: 
I bet you'll never guess! I am naming the princess as my favorite (I know, I know! How creative!). I just loved her strength, her compassion, her determination and her ability to overcome anything that stood in her way. I was excited to see a girl do the rescuing. Girl power!

Ratings: 

My son gives The Princess and the White Bear King a rating of
4 out of 5 crowns

My daughter gives the Princess and the White Bear King a rating of 
5 out of 5 crowns

My husband gives The Princess and the White Bear King a rating of 
4 out of 5 crowns

and finally, I give The Princess and the White Bear King a rating of
4 out of 5 crowns

Now you know what we think of this story, tell us what you think about it! 

Comments