Book Review: Talking as fast as I can


Title: Talking as fast as I can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls ( and everything in between)
By: Lauren Graham 

The appeal: 
From the first time I saw an episode of Gilmore Girls, I was hooked. When I was younger, I wanted to be Rory, beautiful, brilliant and an unparalleled reader. As I grew older and matured, I decided that my goal in life is to be Lorelai; strong, independent, funny, witty and good at almost everything she does! Well...at least I've got the love of coffee down! Anyway, so from the moment I found that that this book existed, I was dying to get my hands on it! Finally, after what seemed like forever, I obtained my own copy and, cracked it open as soon as I could. About a week later, I'm kind of sad I reached the end! But enough about that, let's get to why you really clicked on the link!

                                       What is it about?
As you might imagine, I expected this book to focus primarily on Lauren (can I call her that? Ms. Graham, maybe? No..that doesn't sound right. Maybe you're majesty...)'s years spent walking in Lorelai's (love the name, hate trying to spell it) shoes and that is part of it, but only part of it. Talking as Fast as I can is about the significant moment in Ms. Graham's (that doesn't feel right, either) life starting with how she skipped a grade and ending shortly after the Gilmore Girl's reboot filmed. She showers us with Lauren trivia and peppers us with advice in a format that leaves you feeling more like you're having a conversation with an old friend and less like you're reading a book written by some famous actress about her life. 


                                                             Who thought what?
I read this book alone, for my own leisure. While I was super excited to jump in, I have to be honest, I felt like Lauren could have expanded on some of her tales. I felt like there were many time periods in her life that were touched on but, while I enjoyed the stories shared, I reached the end of the chapter and kind of felt cut off, as if I were missing out on some great stories and no about of begging was going to reward me with the juicy details. And I was disappointed that there wasn't more on her experiences on the set of her two most successful T.V shows, Parenthood and Gilmore Girls. I just often felt myself wanting more and, while that speaks to her ability to entertain with words, the feeling of wanting more does not make my "Things I love about Talking as fast as I can". 

In addition to feeling like I was missing something, I wish the fun photos shared throughout the book would have been in color. I know that that may have been difficult to include them where they were relevant and make them color on an otherwise black and white page, but each time I look at the images, I can't help but to wish they were in color!

My last complaint is the coat. What happened to the coat? I have to know! 

With that being said, I enjoyed the book more then I expected to. I loved the fun, casual vibe that seeps from the pages as you make your way through them. Her writing style really gives the illusion that you're just sitting around talking to a friend (don't believe me? Check out page 13 where she relays a conversation with her dad!) but my favorite thing about this book was Lauren's ability to laugh at herself. She doesn't take herself too seriously which is just fun! She's honest without hiding behind her ego. It's refreshing! I commend her willingness to open up and let us in her world. I found myself laughing out loud (I could have died while reading about her audition with the Equity members!) and I'd be lying if I said I didn't shed any tears, too! (When Kelly Bishop walks onto the set of the Gilmore house for the first time after her T.V husband passed...let's just say, I'm glad I had my tissues near by!)

   What would I rank it?

I would rank this book....
4 out of 5 cups of coffee

Well, there you have it. You know what I think about Talking as fast as I can, now it's your turn to tell me. What do you agree with? What do you disagree with? Let me know! 

Comments