Book review: La Frontera



Title: La Frontera
By: Debrorah Mills, Alfredo Alva and Claudia Navarro
Age recommendation: 3-11 years old
Have your copy delivered to your door by
clicking here!

I was instantly interested in this title when I heard about it and it sure did have an effect on me! One of the aspects that sparked my attention was that this book is actually bilingual! That's right! The story is told in both English and Spanish, with the Spanish text on top of a little decorative divider and the English below! I couldn't help but love how many bridges this little thing can help to bridge, allowing children to come together and enjoy a touching, life changing story together without allowing a language barrier to stand in their way! With that being said, I ask that we keep this respectful of others.I know there are some strong feelings about immigration and would like to keep the conversation revolving around this particular book family friendly and respectful of all sides. Thank you!

What is it about?
This a story, based on real events, about a young boy, Alfredo and his Papa's journey from Mexico to the United States as a desperate means of providing for their struggling family facing even more struggles. In order to provide the simple things for the family, such as food, they make their way through undesirable conditions to the United States to begin earning a living to support their entire family while dreaming of being together again.



What did we think?
I read this book with my entire family, eager to open a conversation about immigration, a topic that has been big in the media. One of the big things I found was that, even though the age recommendations are stated as for children between 3-11, I think that it might lean more toward the higher end. I kind of felt as if my eight year old daughter didn't totally understand the story and the depth of it, however it does open the door for conversations.

However, I think our biggest dislike was the struggles that were portrayed. It is just hard to think that some people really have to suffer and struggle as these characters did and, even worse, they have to do so after leaving their families. Because of these struggles, in some ways, this story was hard to hard to read because of those...especially when you know that these things really happen.



My son did surprise me, though, by also expressing that he didn't love the art style in this book, as he usually does. He was very clear that he didn't dislike it exactly, but it was his least favorite thing about the book. While I think his opinions changed slightly when I told him that they were created by an artist located in Mexico City and infused with the true culture of the characters, he stuck with his evaluation.

We did start to differ slightly while talking about what we liked the most. My daughter's answer was an answer with less depth, but with a lot of heart. Her favorite part was the amount of love and affection the family had for one another, especially how much Papa loved Alfredo.



My son, on the other hand, appreciated the amount of learning and understanding he felt like he gained from the story the most and was even excited about the "bonus features" at the end of the book, taking a more direct approach to immigration. I was even more impressed by the fact that the fact that Alfredo and his father came into this country without proper documentation was not ignored, but was actually acknowledged.

My son also really liked how, no matter what struggles the two came across, they stayed positive, which is something that he sometimes struggles with himself. I loved that fact that he found inspiration and a way to relate to a story that is so different then any experience we have ever had.

My husband and I saw a little deeper. We appreciated the fact that the characters in this story were portrayed as dedicated, hard working people, not running away from work, but running to work that will allow them to provide the basic necessities of life that they were unable to provide in the homeland, even with an unbelievable amount of work.  this goes against the perceptions that many have taken on about those who make their way into this country.

I also loved that this book tackles a topic that, while the story happened in the 1980's, is still relevant today. It allows us to find understanding of a group of people who find themselves in the decision to leave their family and their home and march, willingly, into unimaginable struggles or stay home; and watch the family face challenge after challenge just to obtain food, which almost feels like an impossible dream to achieve. No matter where we stand in the political tug of war entitled "immigration" we must never forget that these are people! Legal, illegal, right, wrong, they are first and foremost people and, they too, have their own stories to share, stories that can teach us something if we take the time to listen.

While this story is moving and deep (it brought some of us to tears) the story revolves around just two people, Alfredo and Papa, so it's really no surprise that they were unanimously out favorite characters in this book, though for slightly different reasons.  My daughter liked them for their endless love while my son respected Papa for his positive attitude and his wisdom. I admired their strength in character, will and physically as well as their dedication to doing what needed to be done. I also respected their work ethic and the effort and energy they put into the tasks laid out before them. And, while my husband also liked Alfredo and Papa for many of the same reasons, he favored Abuelo for his hard work back in Mexico.



When it comes to our favorite parts, we all pretty much agree that it's about family. My son most enjoyed the end, while my husband valued the time the father and son spent under the stars together and my daughter loved the part when Alfredo found a new friend in a baby pig who he identified with as lonely and without family. Personally, I have to agree with my son, who favored the happy ending.



What do rate this book?

My Daughter gave this book a...
5 out of 5 baby pigs

My son gave this book a...
5 out of 5 baby pigs

My husband gave this book a 
3 out of 5 baby pigs

and I gave this book a...
4 out of 5 baby pigs!

Now that you know what we thought, what do you think? Who in your life will you share this story with?

Comments