Book Review: Miracles are made A real-life Guide to Autism


Title: Spinning in Circles and Learning from myself
Author: Lynette Luise
Order your copy 
here!


This is another book I was gifted, but this one was given to me by Lynette's daughter Tsara. The truth is, this is not a book that I ever would have purchased for myself to read for leisure, a fact that was only true after realizing that, for some reason, something about the way Ms. Lynette Louise writes effect my dyslexia, which caused me to read this book incredibly slow! But I did read it and, in truth, I'm happy I did!

What's it about? 
Explaining what this book is about is a little tricky. It's not an autobiography, text book or memoir, really, yet it is kind of all of these things, too. This is not a story, but a collection of stories organized to share one woman's view and success of treating those with a diagnosis such as Autism with biofeedback. In order to share her successes, Lynette shares different cases she has come across in her career, shares stories about her own families experiences as well as facts and information about how biofeedback works and what Autism is. 

What did I think?
I went into this reading skeptical. I didn't know much about Lynette or anything, really, about biofeedback, but I did know that there some points that we did not agree about. That hasn't changed. I don't agree with everything Lynette says or all of her practices but that's O.K. I don't have to. And neither do you.

This book was not what I thought it would be. I expected more preachy and found more sharing, almost teaching. I thought I'd find something like a text book and what I found was more akin to a conversation, she just couldn't hear my comments in real time. She may not even be hearing them now. What drew me in most was the opportunity to hear other's stories and I was not let down! I think my favorite, and most emotional, readings were centered around Lynette's own son, Dar. While many have stated that their favorite part was getting to know him, I felt as if those parts said almost more about Lynette, who chose to adopt four boys with special needs and then go on to adopt two girls with special needs....on top of her two daughters who she gave birth to!

I won't speak much towards the scientific or biofeedback side of things.As progressing fields have it, the science is a little out dated by today's standards and, as I said, the biofeedback portion left me asking questions and not terribly sure I agree with the whole practice, but I think that's a choice for individuals, not for me to say that it's right or wrong for you. But I will speak to the stories; the journey that I was taken on.

As I said, I don't agree with everything in this book, but I respect and admire Lynette's ability to believe. Because that's what I got out of it, a belief. Lynette believes that, first and for most, as parents of a child with special needs, we are the experts of that child and those expertise are just as important as being an expert on Autism while working with a child with Autism. I love her for that. She also believes that a person's ability to achieve or be limited is strongly connected to their expectations and their belief that it can, or can't, be done. Obviously that doesn't mean that I can say, "My daughter's going to stop walking on her toes and my son will no longer be Autistic!" and Poof! Now it is so! Of course not, but by going into treatment and therapy with the belief that they can, you set the course for what is to follow and, with a lot of work and positive attitudes, it may very well become reality. People will live up, or down, to your exceptions. 

From this comes and unyielding fierceness to fight for those around her, cheering the loudest as they take every step to become the best people they can be. She is just their guide, but she's pretty amazing at it. That is what I got out of this book. Not that biofeedback is the answer or that autism affects this portion of the brain or that area of life, but the proof that what you believe helps to shape reality and that, as parents, we may not be perfect, but we do amazing things. 

I expected to read a book written by a women who had different beliefs then I with poor reasoning for them, making it easy for me to dislike her and write of her beliefs as a whole. What I found was an intelligent, fun woman who found something that works well for her and enjoys sharing it with others to help them, too. I walked away respecting Lynette and thoroughly glad that I was given the opportunity to read her book...even if I did hit a few roadblocks along the way!

What do I rate this book?

I give this book a....

3.75 out of 5 gold stars!

 Now you know what  thought, what did you think about this book? Did it inspire you like it did me? Tell us in the comments! 

Comments

  1. Thank you! I appreciate your honesty and the time it took to read and share. The best part about an honest review is how much it helps the reader and informs my future writing. Blessings and gratitude for all you do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment