Let's chat: Why it's good to be a gamer today


I remember sitting on the floor in the living room, NES controller in hand and the now iconic Mario music playing on the screen, interrupted a little too often by the sounds of Mario dying and my frustrated cries. My struggles clouded my enjoyment from the video games I attempted but what really killed me was how everyone around me didn't even have to try half as hard to get three times further then I could. People kept telling me to just keep working at it and I would get better but no amount of work seemed to result in noticeable improvement. My lack of hand eye coordination proved to be a monumental hindrance to my video game master dreams. So, I quite. I stopped playing. All of the fun was sucked out of it so what was the point, right?

Years later I fell in love with a man who was a self proclaimed gamer and, over the last ten years, I've dipped my toes into the pool of video games....and then just jumped in. In the last ten years I've beaten my first game and then some, I've fallen in love with a video game console and found a community. I've even started trying to set time aside every day to play a little. And every time I do, I think to myself, what a great time to be a gamer! Now, let me tell you why.

- Gaming is more widely acceptable. Video games is no longer for the nerdy, awkward teen boys or the twenty something guy living in his parent's basement. Gaming has become a normal hobby and has even become a career for some. There is less and less stigma connected to being a gamer.

- There is an ever growing community centered around video games. YouTube is swarming with gaming sites as is Twitch. Discord has become a clubhouse for like minded gamers to hang out and strengthen their communities and that's not even taking into account social media! It is easier then ever to find other gamers on your level (no matter how low or high that is) that enjoy the same type of games you do! YouTube has created an environment that brings members of the community together regularly, some of whom may never have found each other with out it; relationships that transcend YouTube and appear in other forms of social media or even in person!

- There is always online help. Hitting a point in a video game that seems impossible to get through or coming face to face with a puzzle you can't seem to figure out is frustrating but now, with the expansive reach of the internet, finding help is just a few clicks away! It's pretty easy to find play through videos, written guides or a friend who's played the same game who can talk you through the challenge! 

-Games are more accessible. Gone are the days when you had to go to the video game store, find your game on one of the limited console choices and spend $60. While it's still and option, now there is a number of consoles to chose from, including the personal computer and there are a number of games that can be downloaded onto your system from virtual stores.

- You don't have to break the bank to game. Yes, many brand new games are $60, but not all of them, and that's just for starters. Virtual consoles provide an assortment of games to purchase and download, some for even less then one dollar or free! Of course there are also other budget friendly options such as shipping second hand stores such as Game Stop and there are even Facebook communities dedicated to trading and selling personally owned games, systems and accessories! The opportunities are endless!

- There is something for everyone! There are a number of systems, each known for their own style of gaming from hand held options, mobile games to sit down and play games. Many games have difficulty setting to accommodate any level of skill and there a whole world of genres from horror to actions, from shoot 'em ups to beat 'em ups, form hack and slash to mystery, from puzzles to role playing. You're sure to find something that appeals to you at a level of challenge that makes you happy! And new games are coming out all of the time, allowing you to embrace what you like and know without getting board and still explore new options!

All things considered, it's a pretty great time to be a gamer! It's an even better time to explore this world you never have before! So how about it? Are you a gamer? What's your favorite thing about being a gamer today? Let us know in the comments!


Comments